It’s in human nature, our eyes always go for colorful or b/w images first and text beside it second.
And your potential buyers are eager to search your products and would almost definitely shop with their eyes before their wallets. This means your product photos must look good as heck – otherwise, your competitions are just a scroll away.
When it comes to eCommerce giant Amazon– as per the survey of more than 2000+ US customers; 89 percent of buyers agree that they’re more likely to buy products from Amazon than other eCommerce sites.
Hence to attract that 89%, you need to have good product photo editing, which generates more sales.
Basics about Amazon product photo editing
Here are Amazon’s primary criteria for listing product photos:
- The image format has to be .tif/.tiff, jpeg/jpg, .gif, or .png.
- The pixel dimensions of the image must be at least 1000 pixels or larger in either height or width. At the same time, Amazon recommends 2560 pixels wide.
- Color mode: CMYK to sRGB and the background has to be white
- Frame filling should be 85%
- File names: The name of the file must include the product identifier (this is your Amazon ASIN, JAN, EAN, ISBN or UPC with 13 digits). A period and a file extension after that (see accepted file types given above). Examples include 1234567890.tif or B9876543210.jpg. The file name may not contain dashes, spaces, or other characters.
- Design: Your images can not contain text, borders, logos, mannequins, or watermarks. If you have a mannequin, you can learn how to edit it or use our eCommerce photo editing services that do every product photo editing for you.
A step-by-step process for Amazon product photo editing
To grab the attention of your potential customers and compels them to click, here are a few steps you need to follow.
Making the background image white
For meeting Amazon’s image requirements, the main product photo background has to make pure white. (RGB 255, 255, 255). To do that you need to:
1) Open Photoshop and add the image file on which you want to make changes (main product photo)
2) Select the pen tool on the left panel bar, or use the keyboard shortcut P.
3) Fine-tune the Toolbar options. Set these tool kits as the options:
- Set the path and the pen tool
- Tick marks the Geometry options rubber band
- Choose Auto Add field
- Select exclude the overlapping area of path
4) Now we need to start creating clipping paths. Ensure that the pen tool is selected then click on the image point to create path. (if you don’t know clipping paths read this article)
5) Once you are done with creating paths, to select that path press Ctrl and left-click on the path, afterward, press Shift + Ctrl + I to inverse the selection (this will select the area excluding the selected path).
6) Now, pressing Ctrl + X will remove whatever is in the background. And the most notable aspect is that your picture background will automatically be turned into white.
This step of Amazon product photo editing will only make the background white. There are multiple other things such as:
If your product does not look the same as it’s listed on Amazon – high product returns may occur. This type of situation happens while taking product photographs in very low-light or very bright.
The reason for this may also be inconsistent lighting or appearance of the product image. Amazon never allows for a listing of your product picture that appears dark or unnatural (if luckily those types of images got listed, they might be removed later by Amazon). As per Amazon, your product photo should be based on a realistic color.
In this case, picture color correction lets you put back the product’s original color and enhance it for a better look. For both Photoshop and Lightroom, you can improve the color of the picture by correcting it. Lightroom is, therefore, the easiest way to adjust picture color because it is easy to use.
Change the brightness, aperture, and tint button to correct the color of the picture in Lightroom. But don’t overdo, which makes the product photo look unnatural.
Also, in Photoshop, to bring back the real color of the product, you can adjust the saturation and hue.
You have set the right tone of the color. Now its time to remove the other imperfections from the product photos, which might be easily visible – to enhance it further and attention-grabbing.
Photoshop has a lot of tools to erase the blemishes or dust from an image. Spot healing brush tool, path tool, and the healing brush can be used to remove blemishes. Although my recommendations would be the clone tools, which would help remove the unwanted things from the product photo precisely.
GIMP, Pixlr, Portrait Pro are some alternatives to Photoshop that can be used to fix blemishes.
Resizing product photo
According to Amazon’s guideline, the product photo should fill the frame by 85%. To do that, you need to take a close product photo. However, if you’re not able to do that – cropping the product image will do.
Here’s how to resize the Amazon product photo.
After opening the image file in photoshop, go to Image > Image Size. A dialog box will appear, which has options to resize the photo’s height and width.
For example, Amazon recommends listing the square photo and a minimum of 1000 pixels. Hence you can set both height and width with to 1000×1000 pixels. Then click, Ok.
This will resize the product image.
We know that eCommerce photo editing plays an enormous role in how effective the product listing would be in attracting and converting customers. Not only do the photos have to fulfill the technical criteria of Amazon, but they also have to inspire customers and click the buy button.
The right picture can make all the difference in improving your online sales. Companies like IIPVAPI provides a wide range of product photo editing services to make the product photo standout.
IIPVAPI has expertise in product photo editing with various online e-commerce retailers or storefronts selling – Fashion Apparels & Accessories, Jewelry, Furniture, Sports Products, Cars, Electronics, Home & Kitchen Appliances, Online Property Stores, etc. These are some of the IIPVAPI’s product photo editing services:
- Background Removal
- Image Resizing
- Clipping path
- Create a shadow Effect
- Color Balancing and Brightening
- Indexing and keywording of images
Have you just started selling on Amazon? Or are you not getting enough online sales due to dull and poor product images? Get in touch!