We live in an era where consumers are now getting more comfortable staying at home and ordering stuff. Because of that, big eCommerce platforms like Amazon, eBay, Flipkart, Alibaba, Walmart, etc., have started selling almost everything (from small pins to big planes parts) online on their platform.
Many eCommerce business owners are earning pretty good with the rise in online business. But still, because of the high competition, some people are yet to draw the attention of online shoppers to their products and make big in the eCommerce world.
While selling products online, the most significant factor for making a purchase decision is the product photos listed on the eCommerce platform.
Though many high-quality photos are being used, many sellers are not getting the anticipated results and benefits. Besides, many online sellers are not aware of uploading product photos with the right aesthetics. That’s why the eCommerce marketplaces have stated their photo uploading requirements that are necessary for product display on their platform.
Before blindly uploading product photos on any eCommerce platform, you should know their image specifications and requirements.
Here are some of the image requirements for uploading product photos on a well-known eCommerce platform.
Image Requirements for Ecommerce Product Photos
1) Uploading Product photos on Amazon
- Amazon follows strict guidelines for uploading product images.
- Amazon requires all submitted images to be either in TIFF, JPEG, Gif, or PNG format.
- Ideally, in height or width, Dimensions must be at least 1000 or larger,
- Color Mode sRGB or CMYK.
- The product identifier must also be included in the file names, followed by a period and an appropriate file extension label.
- File names must not contain additional spaces, characters, or dashes.
- The picture of the product should occupy 80% -90% of the frame.
- Parts of the human body are permissible, but only in photographs depicting body-wear objects such as clothes, jewelry, wearable electronics.
- Pure white backgrounds (RGB 255, 255, 255)
- You can include multiple images of the same products with different angles or variants.
- Product images have to be at least 1000 pixels in either height or width.
Things not allowed on Amazon
- Nudity is completely prohibited.
- Do not scale the size of your picture and do not include thumbnails.
- For your pictures, don’t use borders or frames.
- Mark of copyright, watermark, hot spots, and reflections are not allowed.
- Do not use pictures of placeholders.
Read More : How to Edit Product Photos for Amazon
2) Uploading Product photos on Shopify
- You can upload photos of up to 4472 x 4472 pixels with a file size of up to 20 MB.
- Supported format for Shopify product image is TIFF, JPEG, Gif, BMP, or PNG.
- For zoom functionality to work, your Shopify images have to be more than 800 x 800 pixels.
- For square photos, the recommended image size is 2048×2048 pixels.
Shopify automatically resizes your product photos to fit smaller screens, but manual editing can sometimes be needed for some images. Bear in mind that desktop and mobile screens are different in scale; they also have the opposite orientation.
Shopify also attempts to accommodate that with gentle cropping, though it will be better if your photos are square and your product is centered vertically and horizontally.
3) Uploading Product photos on WooCommerce
WooCommerce is basically a plugin for a WordPress website. WordPress does not have an eCommerce platform of its own. Your WordPress site is transformed into an eCommerce site by installing WooCommerce.
So for product images, there’s no specified set of guidelines. For the photo uploading specifications, you can review your WordPress theme guidelines. Here are some basic product image requirements for WooCommerce:
- Minimum size to zoom in: Depends on the theme for WordPress
- Recommended size: width of 2056 pixels
- Maximum size of files: 64 MB
- Recommended size of the file: 100KB
- Picture frame: 85 percent of the frame should be filled by the product
- File format: You can upload files such as JPEG, PNG, GIF, or TIFF.
4) Uploading Product photos on eBay
- For images on eBay, the minimum size is 500×500 pixels.
- The maximum size of the image is 9,000 x 9,000 pixels.
- 12MB is the maximum file size.
- Don’t scale thumbnail images as they will look pixelated and distorted to the appropriate size.
- Photos must be available in one of the following formats: PNG, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, etc.
- It has to be 90 or higher on the JPEG quality scale if the product photo is in JPEG format.
Product Photo requirement:
- Borderless product image should be taken against a solid color background.
- The picture’s background can be white to light grey (a light shadow is appropriate, but mirror reflections are not permitted).
5) Uploading Product photos on Walmart
- Minimum zoom image size: 1000 x 1000 for most photoa, 1500 x 2000 for fashion, 100 x 100 for swatch images.
- Scale recommended: 2000 x 2000 or higher.
- Aspect ratio: (1:1) square, (3:4) fashion category, portrait in other.
- For most images, PPI: 300ppi, 72ppi for swatch images
- Notice that in either width or height, the picture should be at least 1000px so that customers can zoom in on images.
- Maximum file size: 5MB
- Image format: JPEG (.JPEG/.JPG), PNG (.png) or BMPP
The Walmart Marketplace is increasingly becoming an eCommerce force to be counted on. Walmart’s e-commerce revenues soared 74% in the first quarter of 2020, and Walmart was said to overtake eBay as the second-largest retailer in the U.S. for the first time ever.
Whichever eCommerce platform you choose – if you fail to follow the product photo requirements stated, then you’ll have a tough time in online selling.
For more than 10 years, IIPVAPI has been offering all kinds of e-commerce photo editing and photo retouching services. Services provided by IIPVAPI include image retouchings, image processing services such as clipping path, background removal, conversion and illustration of vector images, creative image production, product photo editing, and many more.
Businesses or individuals we work for are eCommerce company owners, product photographers, advertising agencies, busy graphic designers, and many more.
Want to upload a perfect quality image on an eCommerce platform? Get in touch today with IIPVAPI.